Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Worst Nightmare

Just over two years ago my sister Jana was in a terrible, horrible, very scary car accident. There is no need for details. All that matters is that she is here with us today. We are VERY lucky for that. Since then I have been very paranoid of Lance's travels. Lance drives a lot for work, leaving early in the mornings and driving home late at night. I am always nervous of him getting in an accident and that scares me very much. No matter if he is driving across 3 states or driving just 3 miles down the road to the grocery store, when he is leaving I always say "I Love You. Drive Safe". I know just how dangerous driving can be. Two weeks ago, my worst nightmare came true.
Grant and I were in the car driving to the pool to meet a friend. Lance calls me and says "Do not freak out, I was just in a bad car accident but I am fine." My heart sank and a million things raced through my head. Sure he was telling me he was fine, but what does that mean? He only has 3 broken bones, fine? Or he only sees a little bit of blood, fine? There could be a million kinds of fine. I could hear a woman in the background say, "Oh my gosh, are you alright?" At some point I asked what happened and he told me that someone hit him from behind on the freeway. The conversation was very brief. Lance told me he needed to make sure someone was calling the police and he promised to call me right back.
Side note----- Lance was on his way home from an appointment and I remember him telling me it was about two hours away. I just didn't know how far he was on his drive.
If you know me well, you will know that I am very anxious about getting all the details about any situation. Even when Lance is on the phone with someone else, I am always putting in my opinion if it involves me, or interrupting in some way. I know that is a terrible habit and I even get mad at myself for it. That is all to say that I was desperately wanting more details of his health and wellness and of the accident, but also knowing that he probably needs to take care of some things like insurance, police, and all of that stuff.
Eventually I get more of the story and start making my way to where Lance is located. He was about an hour away. I was so thankful to give him a hug when I saw him. Then I saw the car. Wow. That is when I was overwhelmingly thankful to hold his hand and stand next to him.
So what happened? Lance was driving with the flow of traffic which was about 45 MPH because it was a construction zone. He was on the freeway in the left lane. A Ford F150 comes flying through, going between 70 and 85 MPH and hits one car, then hits Lance, and the hits a Semi. Lance gets hit from behind, does circles all the way across the freeway to the right lane, then all the way back to the left lane and smashes into the cement wall head on. Yes, we are thankful he is alright!
Of course there are more details, but none of them really matter. The very scary thing is that sometimes it doesn't matter how good, safe, or reliable you are as a driver. There are people out there who can cause very serious and scary accidents. The bottom line for us is that we are so very thankful that Lance only walked away with some burns and back and neck stiffness/pain. It turns out the pain is gone and the stiffness has faded. The burns from the air bags have since disappeared.
There is only one real reason that I even decided to write a post about this. I really just want everyone to remember how dangerous it can be on the road. Please be safe. Don't speed. Whatever it is that you are in a hurry for, it can wait. It is much better to be safe and late, then injured, or have caused an injury, and early.


No comments: