Thursday, August 20, 2009

Dodger The Cat


We have two cats. Our boy kitty is named Dodger. He is crazy. Every morning he sits at the front door and just meows until I let him go play outside. I leave the front door cracked open and the cats go in and out as they please. They come in when the dogs are out playing and then go back out to be adventurous. The really great thing about them is they will come inside when I call them, just like dogs. Dodger, especially is really funny with this. He almost gets excited when I call him in and he sprints inside so fast, as if it were a game. Anyhow, the other day he did not come when I called him. Now, this has happened before. Sometimes he is lounging under a tree and just doesn't want to come in. So I go down to the field and get closer to him and then the game starts; He sprints home! So I walked down to the field and didn't see him. I know he is very adventurous so I just went back in the house and figured he would come home shortly. Like I said, this has happened before where he takes his sweet time coming home.Well, our girl kitty, Missy, starting acting nervous, like she knew he was missing or something. So I went back out a little bit later and still couldn't find him. So Lance went out there to check, and this went on all day. I thought either he went too far and couldn't find his way back home, or possibly maybe something jumped out of the field and ate him. I don't know what, maybe a snake or a fox - do they even have foxes in IL? Anyhow, I go out there yet again at about 5:00. I was in the middle of making dinner so I asked Lance take over while I went outside. I took the cat treats with me, because I know that whenever the cats hear me shake the cat treats they make a be-line for me. I am out there walking the edge of the field and looking around and all of a sudden I hear a faint meow that is clearly Dodger. He is in the field approximately 30 feet or so deep. OHMYGOD! I sprint home as fast as I could and tell Lance I need his help. We turn off the stove, grab Grant, and Lance puts on his steel toe work boots. We go down to the field and try to get hm out. This field was a corn field last year and now is a soy bean field that has corn patches in some places. The soy beans are about 2-3 feet tall and there is no way that you can see anything in there! The plants are very close together and the cat cannot see basically anything either. So Lance tries to find him but the cat keeps going another direction. So I am a little on edge and I take over. I put on Lance's big old boots and have at it. I am stomping down all of these soy beans in a panic to try and find that cat. (Part of me felt bad for destroying some soy beans, but then I realized that my cat will surely die if I don't get him out....what can you do.) There are millions of bugs all over the places. Bugs I have never even seen before. There are also thousands of frogs jumping all over the place. It really felt like I was on the show "Dirty Jobs". Well finally I find him and I pick him up. I put him down on the grass for just a minute and he falls over. The poor cat is so dehydrated and tired that he can't even stand up. He also is a filthy mess. He was so muddy and yucky - so I had to give him a bath. So we take him in and fill the sink with water and give him a bath with my tick and flea killing shampoo (Thank God I bought that for no reason last year because it came in handy!) So here is a picture of Dodger, all nice and clean and wet, trying to lick himself dry!

-----There is a side note. We forgot to close our garage that night. So our neighbor texts Lance at about 10:30 to let us know it is still open. So Lance runs out to close the garage and when he comes back in he tells me that there are tons of frogs in our garage. So the next morning I go to take a look and sure enough there were about 15 frogs in our garage - and some of them were big and were also dead. EWWW. They were disgusting. So I had to chase them all out of the garage with a broom and then get the dead ones out as well. ------

Thank goodness that fiasco is over! Damn cat!

No comments: